Review: Rising Darkness

Rising Darkness - Thea Harrison

In the hospital ER where she works, Mary is used to chaos. But lately, every aspect of her life seems adrift. She’s feeling disconnected from herself. Voices appear in her head. And the vivid, disturbing dreams she’s had all her life are becoming more intense. Then she meets Michael. He’s handsome, enigmatic and knows more than he can say. In his company, she slowly remembers the truth about herself… Thousands of years ago, there were eight of them. The one called the Deceiver came to destroy the world, and the other seven followed to stop him. Reincarnated over and over, they carry on—and Mary finds herself drawn into the battle once again. And the more she learns, the more she realizes that Michael will go to any lengths to destroy the Deceiver. Then she remembers who killed her during her last life, nine hundred years ago…Michael.

Review:

So, this book had a lot of potential.  "Then she remembers who killed her during her last life, nine hundred years ago…Michael"

And yet, it really fizzled out.  The dramatic reveal went out with nothing but a whimper.  The book itself was pretty good in of itself but I must say there was a lot of rocky parts.  Let's take Mary.  She was very frantic for the first 60% of the book. She is a doctor, a logical being, who acted like a headless chicken.  She had this amazing ability to start believing and then going into denial.  One step forward, two steps back kind of thing.

The most annoying thing was the ex deus machina placed in the middle of the book that all of a sudden killed all doubt in Mary, she was healed(she was dying from some spiritual wound) and had regained most of her memory.  The headless chicken turned into a serene pond.  Yeah, that how you give growth to characters...

And Michael was kind of cold and he said pastel a lot, a lot.  I mean, everything was pastel to him.  His character improved so much when he met Mary.

The book started to pick up though once Michael and Mary met.  Though Mary was still very much in denial.  But when she became the serene pond and all, the book became much more enjoyable.  I loved Michael and how he remembered all the little things.  Mary was whining and was talking of how much she wanted to go to an island resort and eat a mushroom asparagus omelet and fruit.  Michael remembered that and bought the ingredients for it and even cooked the omelet for her.  How sweet was that! Oh, and he still had his V card because he was waiting for her! I could just jump him.

I still want to learn much more about the world and this reincarnation biz.  The mate thing seem kind of weird and maybe a little creepy.

"Of course you haven't. But the fact is, I am not Santa Clause, and you are not a bearded dwarf.  We're also not siblings in this life, or parent and child, or grandparent and grandchild."(Michael)

Does that sound right to anyone?  They are mates and yet, they can be siblings? Parent and child?  That just seems so wrong.

On the other hand, I'm still very much intrigued by the whole premise of this book.  I want to read the next one almost desperately to see how things turn out for these two.  And the world, I want to learn more about it.  I want to learn about the world they came from.  I want learn more about the villain. I want to learn more about their powers.  I want to learn more about 'Grandmother'.  Dammit, I want the next book.