DNF - 63%

The Night Is Mine - M.L. Buchman

First in a thrilling military romantic suspense series based on the real-life elite helicopter pilots who transport Navy SEALs and Delta Force teams in and out of combat and covert missions. (SOAR are the heroes of Black Hawk Down.) Buchman's heroine flys the most dangerous military ops and tries to find the one man who can be a hero in her own life. Ace-pilot Captain Emily Beale goes undercover as bodyguard to the First Lady, with her rugged commander, Major Mark Henderson, who is determined to cover her back. Can she learn to keep her desire at bay before her covert mission implodes.

The start of this book was amazing. I was so upset when college finals were interrupting me from reading this amazing book. I was shocked that the author was a male, my very first romance written by a male. The first 16% had me intrigued. Forbidden romance, tough male and female leads and amazingly detailed action scenes. Count me in! Then I got beyond 16% when Emily gets her new mission. Sadly the book crashed and burned after that.

Now the good.  The writing was decent.  I loved the banter between Emily and Mark.  And Mark was an amazing hero.  One of my favorite scenes was him trying to write a letter to Emily.  How he kept on deleting and rewriting the salutation was hilarious.

But I couldn't take how perfect Emily was anymore.  She was extremely smart, valedictorian at West Point.  An amazing pilot getting nominated for the silver cross.  She can out cook professional chefs.  She is gorgeous and every guy is basically drooling after her. She comes from a rich family, grew up and is friends with the President of the United States.  Emily is the biggest Mary Sue I have ever read about and I seriously felt sick every time someone mentioned another one of her great achievements,

Being this was supposed to be a romance book, I wasn't very happy about how much time the hero and heroine weren't together.  35% of this book had the heroine and hero separated from each other, on totally different continents.  This is just one big chunk of of them not being together and there were a lot more smaller chunks after that.  I can't really call it a romance if they weren't together.  And in that 35%, there was a lot of repetitiveness.  Emily and Mark keep thinking about their one small kiss and Emily keeps on wailing about how she hates that she is being forced to be a chef/bodyguard for the first lady.  She wants to fly.

And no steamy sex scenes. T-T The horror!

I am so over this.